When you were a kid, were you afraid of being in front of the camera? Did you doubt how smart you were before you went and talked to strangers? Did you place value on your worth due to the size of your jeans or the number on the scale? Chances are you didn’t. I remember being the biggest cheese growing up. Always jumping in front of the camera and striking a pose. Never having any doubts or fears about how I might look.
And then middle school happened.
Maybe it wasn’t middle school for you, but at some point you may have stopped seeing your beauty. You may have started to doubt your worth or lost your inner goddess. Good news, you can get it back! There’s no stopping you once you start seeing yourself the way others see you. Create the person you’d want to be best friends with. After all, you’re “stuck with” you for a long time 🙂
Here are a few things to consider when it comes to falling back in love with YOU:
1. Get more sleep!
- A good night’s sleep (about 8 hours) is one of the best beauty treatments out there!
- Bags under your eyes aren’t pretty. You know you will eat junk if you’re tired! Your patience and kindness has short limits when you’re tired. Your productivity will decline. Your diet will consist of skin agers (caffeine, sugar, processed foods). You’ll likely get fat!
- Quality sleep improves your mood, makes you smarter, helps your skin glow (beauty from the inside out), and helps you lose weight. Hello, confidence!
To do: Maintain a regular sleep schedule, creating a soothing bedtime routine, avoid naps during the day, reserve your bedroom for sleeping and sex, remove phones/computers/video games from the bedroom, avoid eating foods late in the day, avoid caffeine after 3 pm, consider supplementation.
2. Boost your blood flow!!
- Blood feeds your brain and body with oxygen and nutrients and takes away toxins
- Decreased blood flow can make you look old and wrinkled
- You need proper blood flow to think clearly and have that bottomless confidence
- If you want to look pretty and feel sexy you need to avoid things that could interfere with your circulation
To do: Avoid smoking, drinking too much caffeine, excessive stress, certain medications, trans fats, processed flours, sugars, and chemical additives. You may want to consider removing top allergenic foods such as soy, dairy, and wheat to see if you have an issue with these foods.
3. Keep moving!!
- Exercising encourages new brain cells, enhances cognitive abilities, improves your mood, calms anxiety, and helps alleviate depression
- Feeds off cognitive decline, enhances ability of insulin, burns fat, wards off osteoporosis, and cancer
- Improves muscle tone and endurance
- Improves sleep
- Helps women better cope with hormonal issues
To do: There are lots of benefits from moving for just 45 minutes 4 times per week. My favorite combination of movement is doing at least 2 days of weight lifting, 2 days of high-intensity/short duration interval training, walking and yoga!
4. Rock your hormones!!
- When your hormones are off you feel fat, frazzled, and frumpy with poor memory
- When your hormones are optimized you will look and feel happy, energetic, and full of life
- Your skin will be tighter and look younger
To do: Schedule an appointment with me and we will get you on the right track!
5. Have more sex!!
- When you’re down on yourself this is the last thing you may want to do, but it works!
- Sex can boost estrogen and DHEA which promote smoother, tighter skin
- Sex increases oxytocin – the bonding and trust hormone and decreases cortisol – the stress hormone
- Orgasm causes a spike in DHEA- which improves brain function, balances the immune system, and helps maintain and repair tissue while it promotes healthy skin
- Testosterone is also increased through regular sexual activity- which helps strengthen muscles and bones
- It’s also a great calorie burner 😉
To do: Have sex a few nights per week, even if that requires scheduling it in your calendar.
- Good hydration prevents wrinkles and fine lines
- Your body is 70% water and your brain is 80% water. When you aren’t drinking as much water as you should, your brain function is reduced. Even a little bit of dehydration will cause your body to release stress hormones.
- Your bad mood and confusion can be due to something as simple as a lack of water
- If you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated
To do: Aim to consume at least 1/2 your body weight in fluid ounces of water per day
7. Get some… sun!!
- Sun promotes healthy skin and immune function by boosting vitamin D in your body
- Too much can cause brown spots and premature aging, so be careful when you are going to be out for a long period of time
- If you do use sunscreen, avoid the toxic varieties. Badger makes a good natural sunscreen.
To do: Get some sun, but avoid burning! Find some shade or put on sunscreen if you’re likely to burn
8. Supplement wisely!!
- Vitamin D, fish oil, evening primrose oil, DMAE, Alpha-lipoic acid, probiotics all promote brain and skin health
To do: Please get these supplements from a health practitioner so you know you are getting good quality products
Finally, Byron Katie has a four-question quiz that helps make you at peace with your appearance.
1. Is it true?
2. Can you absolutely know that it is true?
3. How do you feel when you believe the thought?
4. Who would you be or how would you feel without the thought?
For example: When you tell yourself “I feel ugly,” go through these series of questions to get your mind right
You will be more beautiful when you start seeing the beautiful in your life.
*These strategies can be found in the book, Unleash the Power of the Female Brain by Dr. Amen.