In this episode, Stephanie interviews Lily Nichols, RDN, CDE. Lily is a registered dietitian who specializes in gestational diabetes. One of her biggest passions is prenatal nutrition research and education, which is what we are going to talk about on today’s show. We discuss alternative nutrition considerations for pregnancy, dispell common myths, and so much more! We share similar philosophies on prenatal nutrition and since we nerded out for almost two hours, we split this interview into two parts. If you enjoy this information make sure to check out her book, Real Food for Pregnancy, and the Whole30 Healthy Mama, Happy Baby program which covers this topic in more detail.
Topics Discussed in Part 1:
- Lily’s story: why she wrote this book, how her pregnancy went, and how she used the recommendations from her book to support her pregnancy.
- How to navigate food cravings and aversions.
- Why cravings and aversions may serve an important role.
- Controversial foods, including runny egg yolks and raw fish.
- And more!
Topics Discussed in Part 2
- Prenatal supplements – which to take and why.
- The importance of glycine and choline.
- Why pregnant women may need more salt than what’s currently recommended.
- How to work with providers if you’re receiving pushback.
- And more!
Lily Nichols Bio
Lily Nichols is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, researcher, and author with a passion for evidence-based prenatal nutrition and exercise. Her bestselling book, Real Food for Gestational Diabetes (and online course of the same name), presents a revolutionary nutrient-dense, lower carb diet for managing gestational diabetes. Her unique approach has not only helped tens of thousands of women manage their gestational diabetes (most without the need for blood sugar-lowering medication), but has also influenced nutrition policies internationally.
Lily’s second book, Real Food for Pregnancy, outlines the problems with current prenatal nutrition guidelines and provides the evidence—930 citations and counting—that supports a real food diet to optimize maternal and fetal health.
Lily is also creator of the popular blog, www.PilatesNutritionist.com, which explores a variety of topics related to real food, mindful eating, and pregnancy nutrition.
Enjoy the listen!
- Real Food for Pregnancy book
- Real Food for Gestational Diabetes book
- Lily’s website
- Nourish Kids Medicine Kit and Ebook
- Steph’s Healthy Mama, Happy Baby Virtual Pregnancy Handbook
- Dr. Elana’s Medical Center: Nourish Medical Center