In this episode, Stephanie interviewed Dr. Low Dog, M.D. to discuss supplements for pregnant and postpartum mamas.
- How to choose the best prenatal multivitamin
- The pros/cons of whole food based supplements versus synthetic supplements
- What nutrients pregnant and postpartum mamas are often deficient in
- The most important supplements for preconception, pregnancy, and postpartum (including nursing mamas)
- The importance of iron, choline, iodine, and folate
- The safety of vitamin A during pregnancy
- Supplements for anxiety and adrenal health
- How to assess the safety of supplements during pregnancy and postpartum
- Supplements for increasing milk supply
Dr. Low Dog Biography:
Tieraona Low Dog, M.D.’s exploration of natural medicine began more than 35 years ago as she studied midwifery, herbal medicine; massage therapy and martial arts before earning her medical degree from the University of New Mexico School of Medicine. An internationally recognized expert in the fields of integrative medicine, dietary supplements and women’s health, Dr. Low Dog was appointed by President Bill Clinton to the White House Commission on Complementary and Alternative Medicine Policy, served as the elected Chair of the US Pharmacopeia Dietary Supplements and Botanicals Expert Information Panel, and was appointed to the Scientific Advisory Council for the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. She has been an invited speaker to more than 550 scientific/medical conferences, published 40 peer-reviewed articles, written 22 chapters for medical textbooks, and has authored five books, including three National Geographic books, Fortify Your Life, Healthy at Home and Life is Your Best Medicine. She has appeared on CNN, ABC’s 20/20, and is a frequent guest on the Dr. Oz show and NPR’s The People’s Pharmacy. She currently serves as the Fellowship Director for the Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine.
- Natural Medicines Database
- Facebook: Dr. Low Dog
- Aglaée’s Radicata Nutrition Package
- Steph’s Healthy Mama, Happy Baby Virtual Pregnancy Handbook